Tuesday, October 21, 2008



And then there were 12!


Do the days seem much shorter to you? I'm not talking about daylight...I'm talking 24 hours. It feels more like 15 hours in a day to me. I know that all the after school activity running plays a
big part in this.

I accomplished very little today, and that's frustrating. If you look closely you'll see my black and white craft in the picture below. It's the painted clothespin on today's number 12 on the countdown calendar. I started a much bigger craft too, but never got the time to finish it.
Maybe tomorrow...




12 days until Halloween!



Today's treat....

Marshmallow PEEPS ghosts.
Today's special after school food...mini mummy hot-dogs and witch fingers!


Today's special after dinner dessert...Oreo chocolate cake!


Today's Halloween activity... re-reading Poe's...



The Tell Tale Heart!




I remember the first time that I heard this story. I was in 4Th grade and attending a Halloween sleep-over with my Girl Scout troop. The leaders from the district had prepared a very fun evening that included that game where everyone sits in a circle...in the dark... with their hands under a sheet. The storyteller told a spooky story about some unfortunate soul. As the story progressed, a "body part" was passed under the sheet from hand to hand. You were not allowed to peek under the sheet... Spaghetti for brains, peeled grape for an eye, liver for ...well liver...etc.. We were all unfamiliar with the game, and the storyteller was so good that she had us all convinced these were real parts. There were quite a few scary events that evening, so all of us were on edge.

That evening, as we prepared to go to sleep in the attic...she read us The Tell Tale Heart. I was scared out of my wits. I never did fall asleep that night. I spent the whole night wide awake ... convinced I could hear a pounding heart in the floor boards! I don't think I slept well for many months after that either.

Ah yes...The power of words in the hands of a good storyteller! All these years have passed and I still think about it every Halloween!

Boo to you!



2 comments:

Fete et Fleur said...

I'm so sorry you were so afraid! It is a scary tale though. I completely understand the 24 hour in a day thing.I keep telling my husband, I want somebody to stop the train so I can get off and stretch my legs. Hang in there!

Nancy

AwtemNymf said...

I so feel you on the loosing dayight and "crafting" time. Hahaha! I'm struggling with it myself! I'm still not feeling well, Nyquil is my friend these days *lol*. But I don't like losing project time while sleeping either! *pouts*
But I am getting frustrated on loosing daylight too! :OP <--- sticks tongue out! That Oreo cake looks yummilicious! Save me a piece *winks*
Faerie Dust Sprinkles-
~A~

Find a way

Find a way
a path will take you there...or make your own