Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Were you "hot" enough?


Carnations are not one of my favorite flowers...but they do tend to last longer in a vase than most other blooms, so I buy them occasionally. The stores are stocked full of pinks, reds and whites. Whenever I see the carnations aplenty, I know that Valentine's Day is just around the corner.

Carnations always remind me of Valentine's Day. When I was in high school, we always had a secret admirer carnation sale. You could purchase a pink, white or red carnation to symbolize how you felt for someone. Although friendship carnations (white) were encouraged for everyone...it mostly was a boy/girl thing.

I dreaded this day... because the flowers were delivered in the morning and the girls carried them around all day. (lots of pinks and reds)
You guessed it, I never had any secret admirers. It's not that I really wanted any admirers, but walking around all day...empty handed...made me feel...
sorta ...
like...
the female version of Charlie Brown.

I couldn't even score a white "friendship" carnation...and I had lots of guy friends.

There was this one girl that got several hundred red carnations each year....I think red symbolized "You're Hot," and I think every boy in the school sent her one. There were too many to carry around...so, she had to store them in the florist's buckets in the English classroom.

Ahhhh...high school.


As I was contemplating my pathetic carnation history...



I spotted this guy out of the corner of my eye... it seems he's still waiting for that fateful kiss...


I followed him...


...where I came across two mischievous Valentine's Day fairies...






...throwing hearts all over the place.





2 comments:

fairiemoon said...

Oh how I remember the High School carnations for BOTH Valentines Day and Sweetist's Day...why they had to make up ANOTHER day to humiliate us, I do not know. I remember that fear and I remember the girls who would get bucketloads. I never got bucketloads, but I usually got one or two. I had this one guy friend who sent me a flower every time they sold them. We weren't even very good friends and he never asked me out...I think he must have just felt sorry for me. You didn't think about sending one to yourself? LOL! No...I didn't either.

Here's to wishing you bucketloads of carnations on Valentines! (Or maybe daisies or roses...LOL)!

Cindy said...

At our school it was "telegrams" on Valentines that was read aloud in each class by the delivery person. sigh. I did manage to get two...one from a boy that had a hopeless crush on me, and one snarky one from a boy I had a hopeless crush on. Ahhhhhh, who does'nt have "fond" memories of the torture known as high school.
:D
c

PS LOVE the frog prince!

Find a way

Find a way
a path will take you there...or make your own