Friday, February 13, 2009

Conversation from the heart





Oftentimes, I struggle with the comments, lack of understanding and eye-rolling from family and others when it comes to what I absolutely love doing... spending my day "sitting around doing dumb art and stupid crafts."



It may not matter to the world. It may not save a life or serve any purpose at all. But, it matters to me and it saves my life.


It's hard on the soul to not be valued for a large part of your SELF. It makes a little hole in your heart and you slowly, over the years... bleed out.


You can't deny or change who you are because someone devalues you. You can only keep it stifled and caged like a prisoner. As a sensitive, creative person... criticism and mean spirited comments toward what you do are like acid. It quickly eats away at your muse until there's not much left. It's hard to hold on when everyone around you is saying let go.


You start to feel barren and nothing grows within you.


I am ME...a person who needs to sit around and do dumb art and stupid crafts as much as I need food.


For way too many years, I suffered alone without support and it crushed my heart, my spirit, and my creativity. It made me less of who I was... or could be. I abandoned my creative self...to protect it...


and it hurt...a hurt that only fellow sensitive artists can know.

I withered and lost myself... and became someone I didn't recognize.





and, then to my delight, I found that the little egg had only been safely tucked away...





waiting to hear a safe, friendly voice...
in order to simply BE...
and to risk and grow...



I heard the soft welcoming whispers...
and I found all of you...



birds of a feather...




who supported me with warmth...

and gave me wings... just by being you!


.



Thank you dear friends for giving me a sturdy branch for which to lift-off.




You kind "strangers" nourished me when I was starving... surrounded by some of the closest people I know...who simply ignored or criticized me.


You provided a welcoming nest for me to grow.
You helped me reconnect with myself, and remember that...
It doesn't matter what you create... if it is good or bad, liked or disliked...it only matters that you ...


follow your own bliss.


Just being in the art and creating is enough. It really is.



When I have days when the comments beat me down, I'm grateful that I am not far away from
a community of friends who really, truly understand.


I get little boxes like this...





from Jeanne at Dream, Create, Inspire...


full of everything delicious...





and I know that I am not alone in my fascination with paper, and bits, and glittery delight.



There are kind creative, souls out there who "get it." Delightfully there are many, many of you....
You wonderful blogger artists set me free.




We all fly together.
You are all my sweet Valentines.

No comments:

Find a way

Find a way
a path will take you there...or make your own