Friday, May 8, 2009

Herb Fair

The sun was shining this morning...a perfect day for the annual herb fair. The herb fair is a sure sign that warm weather is here to stay. I love walking around the stands taking in all the scents of the herbs, flowers and heirloom roses and tomatoes. The backdrop of a local museum adds to the fun.


Every year I buy a few herbs and pot them in a large round container. I dream of having an herb garden like the one's in Williamsburg...or Provence...or even the small one that I had in my other home. Things don't seem to get done around here, and an herb garden isn't high on the list. So, every year, I plant my petite Italian flavor and "Bruschetta" garden in my round clay pot.


Parsley, sage, chives, oregano, basil, dill, rosemary...the basics. Usually, one tomato plant and a pepper plant are in another container. By July, bugs have pretty much eaten everything but the dill and chives...and then the lack of watering while we are on vacation kills the remainder. Not this year! I'm determined to make it grow.




Of course, I can't leave the herb fair without a few pips of lily-of-the-valley and lavender! I haven't been able to establish the lily of the valley in this house yet either...but, I keep trying. In my old home, I had so many that I could pick them for bouquets.




There was a stand at the fair selling homemade soaps. I wish you could experience the amazing scent of these elegant bars.


Have a fragrant day!!!

No comments:

Find a way

Find a way
a path will take you there...or make your own